Here are some simple tips for building a chic travel wardrobe.
1. Dress. Choose one that can go from day to evening, preferably in a non-wrinkle fabric. (Instead of silk or linen, opt for a viscose blend.) Black is the easiest color to dress up or down, but a yellow or white will look the freshest for the summer season. Stay on trend with a mini or one-shouldered dress with some draping. Channel your inner goddess with an empire waists and pleats, or show off your silhouette with a more fitted one-shouldered style.
2. Cardigan. The cardigan (in cashmere or cotton) is a wardrobe essential, adaptable in all climates. Stick with white, black and neutrals, as they’re the most versatile and will chicly pull the rest of your wardrobe together.
3. Shoes. Choose ballet flats or gladiator sandals for daytime walking. They’ll keep your feet in style and pain-free at the end of the day. Select one pair of high-heeled wedges or platform shoes for the evening. Want to impress the trend gods? Consider a python print on your footwear.
4. Jeans. Pack a pair of comfortable jeans. This wardrobe staple is perfect for wearing on the plane and during travel days, withstanding wear and tear. Hint: darker denim easily adapts for a night on the town if paired with the right top and shoes.
5. Black skinny pants or mid-calf black leggings. Paired with a tank top and cardigan or long tunic, these classic bottoms don’t take up much suitcase space and can easily transition from day to night.
6. T-shirts and tank tops. These don’t wrinkle and they go with everything. Bring at least one for every day, preferably in cotton or cotton blends, and in different colors to brighten up your look.
7. Capris. White or tan capris are a stylish alternative to pants or jeans. Pair with a lightweight or see-through tunic with a white cami underneath. Both the cami and the tunic can be worn separately. The see-through tunic can also double as a bathing-suit cover-up.
8. Cashmere Shawl. This stylish accessory can double as a scarf and will keep you warm on the plane and on chilly evenings. Add a pop of color in your wardrobe with a sherbet shade: soft pink, mauve, gray, and turquoise.
9. Bathing suit and bathing-suit cover-up. Find one that flatters. If you opt for slimming black, pair it with a colorful cover-up in a graphic or tribal print. (Since you’re on vacation, consider one with a little sparkle to it.)
There you have it, the nine essentials for a stress-free-and-fabulous travel wardrobe. Stay on the lookout for clothes that perform double duty: shirts and hats that offer sun protection, shoes that offer to “massage” your feet while you walk, shorts with multiple hidden pockets to protect your valuables. Remember that rolling your clothes instead of folding them will give you more luggage space and fewer wrinkles. And enjoy your time away!